Recently I am working with Chandeeda from Comet Media Foundation to develop a course for cyber cafe owners to adapt free software in their cyber cafes.
The design goals of the course are –
- Adoption of Free and Open Source Software.
- Improve the access to ICT to under privileged people who cannot afford a computer at home or at work place.
- Enhance the security and privacy of the users.
- Improve the viability of the cyber cafe business and improve RoI for the owners
While brainstorming we came up so far with following possible modules
- Deploy and manage Free and Open Source Software and commodity hardware. This should translate in overall cost savings and capital requirements.
- Imparting knowledge about cyber cafe related laws and regulations to improve the compliance and reduce indirect cost of business like bribes and harassment from authorities.
- Better customer relation – Code of conduct, security, privacy of the users to increase customer loyalty.
- Spotting white space opportunities. Provide additional services like photo printing, VoIP, computer training, network and the Internet gaming, type setting, graphics design, computerized accounting, etc.
There are six modules required to be designed. If you can think of any other topics that should be included in the course we would love to hear from you.